We have put together this guide to assist you when it comes to hunting knives. Here, we are going to cast a spotlight on every single detail of the hunting knives to help you learn a little bit more about what you will want to think about when you begin your search for choosing the perfect survival knives for your hunting.
Owing to a knife before going hunting is essential. We cannot leave home without it! Therefore, it doesn’t matter whether you are a seasoned hunter or just trying hunting for the very first time; it’s crucial for you to have the best hunting knife that will make your work much more comfortable. Yes! The top of the line hunting knife will be adaptable enough to do everything the average hunter needs to do, and even a little bit more.
What is a hunting knife?
A hunting knife is used for various purposes such as gutting, boning, skinning, and butchering, etc. Not merely this, but choosing the best hunting skinning knife will offer you an extensive range of privileges that we will break down in this article later, so keep reading!
What makes these hunting knives different from others?
These types of hunting knives are traditionally designed for cutting and come with single sharpened edges. They are a little bit curved on most of the models and hold some hunting knives with blades. They have a curved portion for skinning and a straight portion for cutting slices of the meat.
Folding versus Fixed blade hunting knives
The first and foremost decision you have to make is whether you need a folding hunting knife or a fixed blade hunting knives.
The fixed blade knives are those knives that possess a permanent blade affixed in the open position. These blades are generally considered stronger and reliable as there are no moving parts in the fixed blade knife. As these types of knives are always open, you have to carry it in a sheath and wear it. Moreover, these types of blades are considered much bulkier than folding blade hunting knives.
When it comes to folding hunting knives, their blades fold back into the handle. It also possesses a locking feature that helps prevent the edge from accidentally closing the whole you are using it. These knives are considered more compact as they can be carried out more easily without any hassle.
Taking about the designing and strength part, folding hunting knives are not considered a better choice as it has a hollow handle and pivot point where the blade folds become a weak point.
Therefore, fixed blade survival knives are considered much better than any other hunting knives as they are much sturdier, lighter, and can be handled easily without any hassle.
After fixing your search between the fixed and folding hunting knives, it’s time to hunt for the blade as per your needs and desires.
Clip point, drop point and skinning
- Clip Point knife blades – These blades are thin and are versatile enough to be used for general camp chores. They are used for available camp chores and in specialized hunting jobs, including skinning and field dressing. Therefore, if you are considering buying a good all-rounder knife, then purchasing these blades can turn out to be your best decision.
- Skinning blades – These blades are designed for skinning big game animals. With the help of these blades, it will become easier for you to separate the skin from the meat. Although these hunting skinning knives are mainly designed for skinning, you can also use it for various other hunting chores.
- Drop point knife blades – They are the specialized hunting knives used in dressing animals and skinning it. The edges are quite thick and curved. Using these blades won’t merely speed up the process, but it also reduces the risk of damaging the meat.
After considering all these things, you need to figure out whether you want serrations or straight blades. Most of the hunters choose straight edges in hunting knives as they can slice much smoothly and efficiently.
Why you need hunting knives?
People living in places where they have to hunt for their food occasionally know the need to have complete knowledge about each knife and what they are used for.
When you are out hunting, you would never know how bad a situation can get. Therefore, it’s better to have quality survival knives that will help you to prevent any bad situation and to hunt for the animals. It will also help you cut down the pieces of wood for lighting the fire and much more. As long as you have a hunting knife with you, you can rest assured that you will not only be safe, but you will also be able to accomplish any of your tasks which you may face throughout your days with ease.
What are the different types of Hunting Knifes?
Here is the list of the top 5 hunting knives which you are purchase within your means:
- Camp knife: These are one of the most basic knives that are used in hunting. There are loads of camps that advise these types of camp knife as it can be used for lighting the firewood, cutting down the small branches, and tears the skin of the bark in the most reliable manner. It is designed with top of the line classic appeal, and you can easily carry it while camping.
- Boning knife: This knife is used for removing meat from the bones in an easier way. It’s a slim knife that can be easily moved in between the spaces of the bones and get the maximum meat out. Not merely in this, but you can also use these types of knives in your kitchen for your day to day kitchen work.
- Browning knives: When it comes to the designing part, these types of knives are finely crafted with high-end standards. It can be closely confirmed by comparing these knives with others. The precious fit and finish features won’t only enhance the look of these knives but it also helps in boosting up the overall performance of these knives.
- Skinning knife: These hunting skinning knivesare relatively shorter but have sharped razor blades so that you can remove the skin of the animals without even damaging the flesh. The blades of these skinning knives are curved, making it more comfortable through the skin without tearing the hide. While selecting these types of knives, you should go with a good grip that doesn’t slip.
- Buck knife: These are one of the most popular knives that are invented in the 1960s. It’s a folding knife with a large blade used for hunting and is perfect for sudden dangers. Buck knives utilize the latest technology and come with loads of incredible features.
How to find the best Hunting knives?
To help you in finding the best hunting knives, further down, we are rolling up some of the top factors you should always consider:
- Purpose: You need to understand that hunting knives possess distinct characteristics, features, and uses. Therefore, it is better to figure out why you need a hunting knife. Are you a hiker, camper, or a hunter seeking quality survival hunting knives? By considering your needs and requisites, you will be able to purchase the best hunting knife that will surely satisfy all your needs and requisites perfectly.
- Material: You need to check out the type of steel that is used in the blade. It will help you determine how well you can sharpen your knife and how well it will hold the edges after sharpening. It will also give you an idea about the durability of the hunting knives. For instance, stainless steel is recognized as soft steel. However, carbon steel is hardened steel! So check out your needs and choose the best hunting knives accordingly.
- Handle: You should never compromise on the knife’s usability and quality just for the nice-looking design and the appearance. You can fix your search with synthetic handles if you don’t want to waste your time on the maintenance. It can be easily cleaned. The wooden handles are also one of the traditional choices of most individuals.
- Blade design: Hunting blades either come in fixed or folding knives. But there are loads of designs to choose from. Therefore, by considering all your requisites, you can easily select the best one as per your needs. The drop point blade, clip point blade, and skinning blade are some of the different blade designs.
- Budget: After considering all these things, you need to check out the affordability of the hunting knife. For instance, if you don’t want to burn a hole in your pocket, you can compare the prices and quality of the different knives. It will give you an assurance that you are purchasing the best hunting knife within your means.
With the help of this comprehensive guide, it will become easier for you to choose the best hunting knives out of all. You must have a look at Battlingblades if you want to purchase the best hunting skinning knife from the team of top certified and highly experienced professionals.